Saturday 27 July 2019

Dämon #1


Many years ago, when i got my first computer, a friend gave me Corel Draw 5 and i made my first steps with digital graphics design.
With nothing but the manual, i explored what this program could do and at that time i was very interested in stencil graffiti. So i began drawing like it was a stencil, making every shape modular, so you could potentially cut and spray, and this developed into a style which is especially suitable with vector curves.
Most of the time i just clicked away, making little shapes with the Bezier Tool, with no plan or concept and interesting ornaments and faces would appear.

I would also do this with pencils on paper. Here is a tiny sketch from way back (early 2000s im thinking, or maybe around '97), i did on a piece of scrappaper:


The Corel thing was fifteen years ago and yesterday i wanted to try if i can still do it.
I filled a whole page with devils, kind of inspired by the manga 'Dorohedoro', but then i was lost what to do with it.

Im not very good at colouring and filling the shapes with colour seemed wrong for my style. Tried several textures, like crumbled paper, but that didnt satisfy me either.
I also tried to make it look even more handdrawn, but decided its not necessary because there is already variation in the freeform shapes.
So in the end, i used plain colours and added G'MIC filtereffects to make it more interesting.

Bonus:

they made an anime out of the manga, which will come out early 2020. Yay !




No comments: