Friday, 17 July 2020

Future Refractions 2049


Revisited the existing effect which was inspired by the water reflections in Blade Runner (both Tyrell and Wallace Corp. offices) and added a Nobu Design pattern, which is kind of similar to the Ennis House tiles.

Still work in progress, i think.

Friday, 3 July 2020

Holographic Snakes


Inspired by a post from the AI subreddit.
The idea is to use text as a pattern (along path) so it warps better to the curvature, which i combined with trendy "unicorn" (oilspill / soapbubble) colours, an irisdescent pattern overlay and more plastic wrap texture.

For a different version look below.

Tuesday, 30 June 2020

Two Rings, One Pattern


I made the rings on day one and added the rest on the following day.
Put a lot of trends, i've seen on the YT channels im subscribed to, into the piece (cyberpunk neon-colours, white text in a clean modern font, glitch effects, echo-text and vertical typography), while keeping a minimalistic look that follows a grid layout.
After a lot of editing and refining, i also made a melting version you can see here. This one was really tough to get right. The smaller pattern on the upper ring changed the colours visually too much, so i made both patternfills the same size.
I also wanted to integrate the melting effect into the rings, without overdoing it and getting the balance right, required a lot of attempts.

For the original, look below.

Wednesday, 24 June 2020

Quick, modern & abstract


Im following a bunch of YT channels to help me crawl out of my graphics design burn-out.

Saturday, 16 May 2020

Projection


Little exercise in isometric design. Easy to do in Inkscape with the Isometric Projection Extension.

Saturday, 12 October 2019

Icelandian Startrails



This little badge design is based on something i saw on one of Björk's 'Debut' era (ca. 1993) releases.
I guess it was supposed to be Björk's logo: the letter B in a cool foreign looking alphabet/techno design, with the repeating gradient background in earthy browntones and a startrail on top.

Especially the startrail seemed like a nice idea for another brush dynamics tutorial, so i began exploring.

It went all well until i tried to add a stroke to the stars, which just didnt look good because small selections converted by Gimp into a path, do not result in very accurate paths. Especially the smaller stars looked more like little blobs with all sharp points gone.

So i switched to Inkscape and tried to recreate the startrail effect only to discover that its a lot harder than expected and gave up after banging my head against a wall for hours.

Last week i gave it another try and this time i got it working.

Not only was i able to delve deeper into designs with gradients, i also figured out how to make a vector startrail.

So after the jump i present to you, two techniques of making a startrail.
First in Gimp and then in Inkscape.

Monday, 16 September 2019